nis and netbase conflicts

I'm currently having a bit of problems with my G3, which runs woody.
During a apt-get recently, my netbase package was updated to 4.05. This
would be fine and dandy, had it not been for the fact that netbase 4.05
conflicts with nis (<= 3.6-2), and the only nis package that seems to
be available, is nis 3.6-2.
So what I was wondering is:
 * where did I screw up?
 * do anyone know of a way to fix this?
 * how can I force a downgrade of netbase, if that is necessary?
 * being a debian newbie, where can I find information regarding
 issues like this one, so that the next time, I won't have to bother
 all of you?

Thanks in advance.
--
Håvard Dahle