Re: debian vs linuxppc

Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:

> Actually it is a little more complicated than that. Audio in Linux is not
> that strong, and it is not yet IMHO, something that lures users to the
> Linux world, and I have yet to hear someone that has running MIDI
> running on a ppc-based linux. Not to underestimate the power that it
> offers, but if you are interested in audio only, stick to MacOS, as it
> offers some really powerful software.

Actually, there exists audio software in linux (intel, SGI) and it's quite well
developed and supported.  I agree that MacOS offers great tools but they're too
expensive for me.  I prefer suppoting free software development as well as (the
new concept 0f) free music.  Also, audio (or any software for that matter) runs
faster under linux (i've done some benchmarks, I know) and linux offers a more
flexible work environment.  I'm still forced to work under MacOS and I still use
some expensive software but I'd be more than happy to get rid of all commercial
software, which sometimes seems to be less stable than equivalent tools under
linux.  I could provide a couple of examples of apps that sell for over $200 and
are basically in a beta stage.

Right now I have access to an IBM computer on which I run linux with some of the
apps I'm intersted in and I'm very happy.  Just hope I will be able to use my PPC
in the same way soon.  Considering that Mac architecture offers more power and
stability it'd be wonderful if someone could develop some good quality sound
support.  Unfortunately I don't have enough programming experience to undertake
such a project.

Programs that run in MacOS are definitely more user-friendly (as the whole system
is) but sometimes it's a trade-off in performance/usability.  Linux apps give me
much more flexibility.  Some of those tools exist in MacOS and some are free
(Csound, Cecilia) but there are many other great applications that run under
linux,, do what I want and I haven't seen their equivakents in MacOS.

Consider.

MiS