Airport support in 2.4.x kernel

Michel Dänzer wrote:

> No way. The point of rsync is that it makes all local copies of the files in
> the repository identical to the originals (using a very interesting protocol
> BTW - look for the RFC which describes it if you are interested).

Yes, that is the point. However, if you use --delete or not, would be
determine by the rsync command given on the command line. I just saw that as a
way for a tree to get out of sync, but not delete the local files that have
been removed from the tree. IOW, I think you could still do an rsync, and not
pass it --delete and it wouldn't remove the airport support that is in your
2.4.2, but I could be wrong.

I worked at VA Linux Systems for about a year, and they had a very interesting
technique for users that didn't want to maintain their own systems (yeah,
people actually were like that, imagine?;-), which was known as "the plan". If
you were on the plan, your system would rsync every hour with a main server
they referred to as gold. They would develop any changes on a machine called
lead, which would be sync'd with gold and all the people on the plan would be
updated through their rsync (running as a cron). It worked quite reasonably
for people not capable of having root on their system (I know, seems far
fetched to most of us;-). None of my systems were on the plan...(not sure even
if they still do that, I haven't been there for more than a year).

> You are right there, but the explanation is simpler: I had last rsynced on the
> 10th, when Paulus was at 2.4.2. I just did it again, I now have 2.4.3-pre2 but
> no Airport in the config anymore. :-/ I assume it's an overlook and he'll put
> it back shortly.

Ok, at least I know it's not my imagination, they certainly weren't there when
I was trying. I sent a message off to Paulus and will wait for a tree that has
the airport support in it. I just got a message from work, an extra memory
module came in for me, so I'll drive over and get it tonight, I've been
limping along on 128mb, and while not bad with Linux, I would really prefer
256mb, it makes a big difference. If I can get the airport working, and have
the memory, I'm getting close to the promised land...;-)

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.