getting kernel 2.4.2-pre3 to work

In case people are interested in getting a 2.4 kernel to compile *and* work
on their powerbook, here's a quick howto on how I did it.

(info from http://www.linuxppc.org/software/kernel)

$ mkdir linux-pmac-stable
$ cd linux-pmac-stable
$ rsync -avz --delete ppc.linuxcare.com::linux-pmac-devel .

I tried the standard 2.4.2-pre stuff from kernel.org, but it had some
problems compiling.  Rsync'ing from ppc.linuxcare.com or
bitkeeper.fsmlabs.com should give you a good tree.

Move this directory to /usr/src/linux and go for it!

I was able to get 2.4.2-pre3 to compile and go on my Powerbook.  I ran
into problems with ReiserFS and Devfs, so I turned those off.  Though it
would be pretty cool to have ext3 or ReiserFS on a laptop...

My .config is available at
http://www.unixguru.org/~grant/kernel-2.4.2-pre3.config.txt

--Grant Miller   grant at unixguru dot org