Re: X 4.0.2 issues...

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:59:42PM +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 06:44:50PM +0000, Sergio Brandano wrote:
> >
> >  Just a note.
> >
> >  Was X version 4 supposed to be that magic next step,
> >  where companies like ATI and Matrox could make
> >  their own drivers? Was X version 4 supposed to have
>
> Yes, but only NVIDIA is doing it, both matrox and ATI are contributing the
> code back to XFree86, well as much as they can anyway.
>
> >  a mechanism for which these drivers could be addedd
> >  modularly with no need to hack the main code? Was
>
> Well, yes, but the main support code is still changing and evolving.
>
> I guess that it is possible to have proprietary driver that work well with XF
> 4.0.2 for example, like the nvidia drivers. Don't know if they have ppc
> versions of them though.
>
> >  that one of the reasons why we could not have a free
> >  version of X Version 4? If so, why is that we are
>
> Not anyone aggreed with that philosophy though, and we stiull have a free
> version of XFree86 4.
>
> >  now having this problem in running an ATI driver?
>
> well, i guess mainly it is because not enough of the XFree86 developpers are
> running on ppc, care to join ?

Aside from that, i think the XFree86 big guys are nto at all convinced that
fbdev is a good thing. Don't know upto what point this is related to the
problems you are speaking about.

Also notice, the Appian Jeronimo 2000 is also a nice powermac board, and it
has a working driver (written by me, sponsored by appian, wors also on formacs
permedia3 boards, no 3D yet though but Xv support is underway).

Friendly,

Sven Luther