Re: installing Debian 2.2r2 on iMac DV SE(summer 2000)

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 09:20:36AM +0900, Joss Winn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I plan on installing Debian this weekend on my iMac and just wanted to
> ask if there are any immediate installation issues I will have to be
> prepared for.  I'm fairly familiar with installing Linux. I've installed
> LinuxPPC with much frustration and SUSE 7.0PPC with much joy but
> secretly always wanted to run Debian :-)

well start with rtfm ;-)  read the debian installation docs and pay
particular attention to the parts about installing the bootloader on
NewWorld powermacs, your iMac is NewWorld which means the `Make disk
bootable' step will NOT work for you.  you need to follow the
instructions exactly for running mkofboot from a shell before you
reboot for the first time.

also make sure you partition it correctly, you will need an 800K type
Apple_Bootstrap partition to install the bootloader onto.  put it
before all your other partitions (especially MacOS if you keep it) see
my partitioning guide at
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.txt which will
assist you in using mac-fdisk.  it also explains how to properly share
the disk with MacOS, you should not use Apple's tool to create the
actual linux partitions instead you need to use the debian mac-fdisk.
this document explains how to do that.

> Are the mouse and keyboard working out of the box?  What about X windows issues.

X may take a bit of work, it should be more or less configured on
install, it just needs some tweaking IME.  see the archives.

> I see from the archives that there are lots of the usual questions and
> problems, but at this stage I'm just interested about what I need to
> have on hand during installation.

see above, also see my site for other booting information, thats the
biggest problem people run into.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/