Re: Kernel compiled (I think), how to do next step ?

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:36:52PM -0500, Vinod Kurup wrote:

> Actually you don't need either zImage or bzImage. Those are compressed images
> which are needed on the PC platforms, but not on PPC. Instead, do:

this is not quite true.  bzImage is indeed specific to x86 hardware to
work around its deficiencies.  zImage is quite valid and useful on
powerpc hardware, it usually creates a .coff format kernel image which
is directly bootable by OpenFirmware on oldworld powermacs.  other
non-apple powerpc hardware uses other format kernels created by
zImage.  (mostly varients of coff)

vmlinux is simply the most commonly used format for Power*Macs*

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/