Re: Help with a RS6k 7024 E20

Adrian Dascalu wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Searching the net for specs on RS/6000 7024 E20 is the first time I here that it
> might be PReP. On the other hand loading (via TFTP) PReP images it just (:-)) )
> hangs while CHRP images generate error ! 0001000A ... Also, it tries to boot PReP
> floppy while CHRP floppy gets ignored ...

While I don't know what the error number is exactly, by what you describe that's
being reported by Open Firmware in which case Open Firmware is having issues
with the CHRP zImage. Mostly likely it doesn't understand it.

I suspect your PReP kernel while crashing very early on, with effort, could
work. I suspect if you attached a null model cable to your E20 (9600 8N1) you
would see messages from the kernel before it turns on the display.

O and what kind of video card do you have? That's another important factor.

> About firmware update: I have updated from IBM site to the latest version for this
> model and still no prompt :-((( Can you sugest an URL for firmware updates that I
> might have been missing>

If you've updated then I'm sure you have the latest. Not having an OF prompt
isn't the end of the world at all.

Regards,

Tom

--
Tom Gall - PowerPC Linux Team    "Where's the ka-boom? There was
Linux Technology Center           supposed to be an earth