Re: 2.4.0-test6 ppp trouble

Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> > > On a "philosophical" note, since they are so close to working, I'd
> > > prefer to use stock kernels and bug report against those, with as little
> > > patching as possible, it seems this will hasten the day when unpatched
> > > kernels will be usable across more platforms.
> >
> > I wouldn't count on this ever happening. You might want to search an
> > archive of linux-kernel or Kernel Traffic (http://kt.linuxcare.com) on the
> > topic.
>
> Hmm, this is philosophical and drifting off-topic...  But if people are
> really resigned to the situation as you describe it, then it seems pointless
> to put other arches into the main kernel tree at all.

No, of course not. I can't explain well why, but AFAIR there's a good
explanation in a recent issue of KT.

> Having five people maintaining five PPC trees and occasionally sending
> patches to Linus seems the wrong way to maintain an architecture, and an
> implicit resignation to the total worthlessness of any PPC material in the
> stock tree at all!

I imagine the problem is that there are so many varieties of PPC. CHRP, PReP,
PMac, APUS, MBX (,... ?) . I think it's important to coordinate stuff between
those subarchs before integrating into Linus' tree. Otherwise, maybe one of
them would always work from the stock kernel, but what about the others?

> From what I've heard, sparc(64) support in stock is pretty good, m68k too,

Not m68k AFAIK. As long as I've known about it, it's always needed patches to
even build, let alone run. At least for Amigas, dunno about Macs (the subarch
issue again).

> (Oh- and stock 2.2 works decently on PPC too- I haven't had any problems).

All the better :)

> Maybe this is related to Eric Raymond's "curse of the gifted" post, and we
> really need to use more sophisticated tools for the kernel, like a tinderbox
> server of some kind...

Sounds interesting, can you explain a bit please?

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project