Re: booting 500 MHz G4 from cd?

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:46:20AM +0200, Stefan Kluth wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I made a binary-powerpc-1.iso with pseudo-image-kit-2.0 (2.2_rev0) and
> > tried to boot a 500 MHz G4, Apple family number M5183, with a DVD-RAM
> > drive. I restart while holding down "c" and the boot starts from the
> > CD. However, several messages "wrong partition 1 check" appear on the
> > initial yaboot console screen and then the boot hangs with a blank screen.
>
> the "wrong partition 1 check" messages are normal and harmless, its
> just yaboot being a pedant about the blocksize mismatch (2048 != 512)
>
> as for the boot failure i cannot be of much help, but it sounds like
> the kernel is getting stuck rather then yaboot (is the screen cleared
> before it hangs?)

Hm, the screen turns black after the few yaboot messages and then stays
that way. My CD contains a directory 2.2.16-2000-07-26, presumably thats
the kernel version. Is there a way to get more output on the screen to see
whats is actually going wrong?

Any hints on how to replace the kernel on a CD image so I can write the CD
again (I use CD-RW) or does a non-standard kernel mean I must use bootx or
some other tool to boot from MacOS? I am not sure about floppies, since
our Mac only has an external USB floppy drive.

Cheers, Stefan

---Stefan Kluth---------------Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter-----------
-  MPI fuer Physik         -  phone:  +49 89 32354 468  -      OPAL&  -
-  Foehringer Ring 6       -  fax:    +49 89 32354 305  -      ATLAS  -
---D-80805 Munich, Germany----e-mail: skluth@mppmu.mpg.de--------------