Re: powermac clock on 7200

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 04:16:02PM -0400, James Waterhouse wrote:

> Well that does not help me too much since I cannot get anything past 2.2.14 to
> run on my system (I'm one of those nasty powermac 7200/quik users). Does anyone
> have any idea which is to blame, quik or the new kernels, or both? I think I am
> going to havve to look into it if I want to get any newer kernels running on my
> machine. What do I need to compile linux on my powerpc? Where can I get the
> source?

ah so it is true that nothing past 2.2.14 works on 7200's...  that
would be indeed a good thing to get fixed if you know how to go about
fixing such problems.

here are the packages that should allow you to compile a kernel:

Depends: binutils, bzip2, fileutils (>= 4.0)
Recommends: libc-dev, gcc, make
Suggests: libncurses-dev | ncurses-dev, task-tcltk-dev,
kernel-package

i usually use stable tree from Paul's rsync archive, however 2.2.17
may be usable on powerpc now that Alan has merged alot of powerpc
fixes.

>     Just one more thing... how does the clock stuff effect using rdate? should
> rdate still work properly even with hwclock not being used?

i don't really know about rdate specifically but if its like ntpdate
then it does nothing to the hardware clock, just the kernel clock.
which is fine but if you reboot you need either clock or hwclock to
sync the kernel clock back to the hardware clock.

debian does this by default, currently on powerpc(mac?) clock is used to
accomplish this.

good luck fixing the kernel for quik

--
Ethan Benson