Re: Proposal to update NMU section 5.11.1

Le Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 04:19:50PM -0700, Don Armstrong a écrit :
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:33:31 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >
> > > Talking about improvements, if the following part about NMU acknowledgement is
> > > obsolete as I think, how about removing it, either as a separate bug, or as
> > > part of the general refresh of the section that is discussed here.
> > >
> > >   To acknowledge an NMU, include its changes and changelog entry in your next
> > >   maintainer upload. If you do not acknowledge the NMU by including the NMU
> > >   changelog entry in your changelog, the bugs will remain closed in the BTS but
> > >   will be listed as affecting your maintainer version of the package.
> >
> > Is this obsolete? In my understanding this is still how the BTS
> > works; but I might have missed any changes.
>
> Yes, that's still how the BTS works. Otherwise, the MU is a descendant
> of the previous MU instead of the NMU. You can alternatively just
> include the changelog entries from the NMU too. Either works.

Thanks for the information, I thought it was obsoleted when the closing of bugs
became versionned.

Can you describe somewhere what the BTS is doing on that matter ?  I do not
understand the rationale and the function.  Also, I thought that
changelog-driven interaction with the BTS was only carried through
dpkg-genchanges and dak...  Can missing acknowledgements be corrected via the
email interface ?  Are there other direct interactions between a package and
the BTS with its changelog ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy