Re: Proposal to update NMU section 5.11.1

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 03:46:59, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adding zack to Cc.

Cool.

> Note that this discussion should really take place in a public place.
> Maybe in a bug report?

Huh... I was going to ask where to do that, but I just realized the existence
of the 'developers-reference' package, so I could file a wishlist bug in the
BTS for the package.  Yeah I think that's a good idea.

> On 24/04/12 at 02:50 -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:

> > > wishlist bugs are bugs, so they are covered.
> >
> > I now that *now*, but only because of discussion on [debian-devel], and
> > not because of Section 5.11 of the Developer's Reference.  :-(
> >
> > Let me state the issue another way -- when it comes to NMUs, my personal
> > reference on them is now Zack's email, and not the Developer's Reference.
> >  :-/ I want others to be able to get at least the same level of
> > understanding of NMUs that I currently have now after discussing it on
> > [debian-devel], without having the DPL needing to repeatedly explain
> > them.
>
> I don't think that what the DPL stated in that thread is fundamentally
> different from what is described in dev-ref. Also, note that the DPL was
> expressing his opinion, and that, because the DPL expresses an opinion,
> it does not necessarily become the opinion of the project.

:-/  I'm *not* at all trying to say "the DPL is the authority".  I'm saying
that what Zack wrote about NMUs makes a lot more logical sense to me than
what's in section of 5.11.1 of the Dev Ref right now.

> > > that's correct
> >
> > Try to read between the lines -- it implies "be reluctant to do an NMU
> > unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing".  That's a much
> > higher bar than the spirit that I think is embodied in Zack's email
> > describing NMUs.
> >
> > And there's a difference between being correct and being informative.
> > i.e. just because a statement is correct doesn't mean it conveys what
> > DDs need to know.

> > > You are over-reading.
> >
> > Saying this is not helpful.
>
> Seriously, if the dev-ref states:
> > Fixing cosmetic issues or changing the packaging style in NMUs is
> > discouraged.
>
> And you understand:
> > the NMU package shouldn't make any changes other than some time of
> > critical bug fix
>
> I don't know how I can help you.

Short single sentence replies of "you are <blah>" is geek speak for "I'm not
interested in what you're saying", so I was trying to get you to consider how
you were communicating.

I've tried to explain the disparity between the impression I get from Section
5.11.1 verses the impression I get from Zack concerning NMUs, and I'm saying
the two impressions don't match in ways I think are significant.  I think you
might be misunderstanding that the OVERALL TONE of the entire section is part
of the issue.  Anywhere statements are vague, the tone can alter the meaning.
I listed the sentence as an example of the tone.  Nitpicking my interpretation
of the one sentence alone misses the point.

> Fixing minor bugs or wishlist bugs in an NMU are OK. Basically, what
> should not be done in the general case is making decisions, opposite to
> the maintainer's own choices, that are mainly a matter of taste.
> For exammple, switching from cdbs to dh (without the maintainer's
> approval).

The above makes complete sense, but that's not what the section of the Dev-Ref
says; it simply says "changing packaging style is discouraged", but not what
"packaging style" means.

For instance, say a potential maintainer picks up an old package to do an NMU
on, and updates the version of debhelper from v5 to v8, switches from 1.0
format to 3.0 quilt format, and likewise has to make numerous other similar
tweaks both to the debian files and patching the upstream source.  Are any of
these possibly considered part of packaging style in terms of this section of
the Dev Ref?

Part of the problem is vocabulary re-use; for instance "a bug" has all kinds
of specific contexts, so when there's no hint as to the context, it's easy to
misconstrue the actual meaning.  The result is that "packaging style" has a
different meaning than "packaging style (dh_, cdbs, etc)" does.

> > > I don't mean to discourage you, but converging on the current wording
> > > took several hundreds of mails. See
> > > http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep1.html and related discussions on
> > > various mailing lists back in 2008.
> >
> > I'm not discouraged -- if anything I'd expect the reverse.  Due to the
> > effort it took to create the document, a common result would be if the
> > team were reluctant to change the document unless there's a blatently
> > obvious reason to do so.
>
> The team's opinion does not really matter. dev-ref aims at capturing
> and documenting the consensus inside the project. The hard part of the
> task is to understand where lies that consensus. Last time that
> discussion was held, ghost DDs that did not do any work for the last 5
> years woke up and started arguing that NMUs are evil.

Ahhh... ooookay.  Thanks, the above information helps me understand the role
of the Dev-Ref team.

Sorry you guys had to go through that re: dormant DDs and "evil" -- I
overheard some of this sentiment during DebConf10.  Frustrating.

> So the question is: is it worth it? The NMU policy could probably be
> improved, but not without long+heated discussions. I think the current
> state of the NMU policy does not require to do that work now.  If you
> want to do it, I would suggest to do the following:
> - prepare a patch to dev-ref that reflects what you think consensus is
> - ask for a DEP number
> - start a discussion on -devel@, following the DEP procedure
> (that's what was done last time)
> Of course, dev-ref will integrate the result of the process, provided
> the process is properly carried out.

Hah!  I see what you mean.  ;-)  Well, okay, that at least gives me a
direction for the correct proceedure -- that's cool.  Probably the next
logical step is for me to take would be to file a wishlist bug on the
developers-reference package, which will at minimum capture my ideas for
improving the wording of the section to make it a bit more explicit.  At least
this way if it's not worth modding the document now, the next time it's done
the wishlist bug will exist for consideration.

> > My goal (at least to start with) was to convey the issue to see if I
> > could motivate doing something about it.  There is merit in the attempt
> > regardless, so if ultimately nothing changes, that's okay.
> >
> > P.S. I really appreciate your Debian packaging tutorial.  ;-)
>
> Thanks :)

Thanks for taking the time to write back.  :-)

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us