Re: Fixing old-fsf-address-in-copyright-file

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> In practice, that means:
>
> * explicit, unambiguous statements of which parties hold copyright in
>   the work (this is so that interested parties can at least attempt to
>   verify if our claim meets the copyright holder's understanding of
>   the granted license), and when that copyright begins (this is so
>   that the reader can know when the work will no longer be restricted
>   by copyright, on the theory that copyrights expire). In other words,
>   full UCC-style copyright statements including full years and legal
>   entity names.

What if there is no such notice in the upstream source?  It's not required
by any legal jurisdiction that matters to Debian so far as I know, so it's
not unreasonable for upstream to not bother.

> * explicit, unambiguous text from the copyright holder granting
>   license, and the specific extent of that license within the work as
>   distributed in Debian (i.e. what files are covered by the grant).
>
> * the exact license terms granted by the copyright holder in the
>   covered part of the work, or a reference to those terms in
>   /usr/share/common-licenses/.

I agree with those.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you don't think that the FSF
address needs to be in the copyright file either, correct?