Re: Fixing old-fsf-address-in-copyright-file

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> > Do you agree with Eduardo's argument below:
> >
> > Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> writes:
> >
> >> IANAL, but I don't think the address is part of the license. I
> >> believe the address can be changed to reflect the correct
> >> information, if the rest of the license information is kept.
> >
> > The address is part of the “you should have received a copy of
> > the GPL, if not write to the FSF” text. Either that text is part
> > of the text that must be in ‘debian/copyright’ verbatim, by
> > policy; or it is not.
>
> So far as I can tell from the GPL 2 and GPL 3, Eduardo is correct
> and the address portion is not part of the notices that the GPL
> requires be maintained.

That's speak of what we are legally required to do by copyright law,
which is not the point I'm questioning. What I'm asking about is what
should be in ‘debian/copyright’.

--
 \          “I spilled spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.” —Steven |
  `\                                                            Wright |