Re: FWD: dh_compress

Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
> The default ext2 blocksize is 1k and very few people change it.

That's not so. I've looked at the source to mke2fs and experimented and the
default size varies between 1k and 4k, depending on the size of the partition.
1 GB partitions get 4k blocks, 100 mb partitions, 1k blocks.

> I propose therefore that the the minimum size candidate for compression is
> the minimum filesystem blocksize + 1 byte.

Logically, this should be + 1 bit.

> I would personally like that also the copyright files would be compressed.
> I don't think that the compression changes the copyright itself or the
> licencing policy of the package, or the ability of the user to read this
> information. We must install anyway the package in a debian system to be
> able to read the docs and zless is already installed in every base system.

How do you plan to read a compressed copyright file for gzip to determine if
you agree with gzip's copyright and agree with it, to know if you can even
use gzip?

--
see shy jo