Re: Source dependencies: are we ready?

> > I still think sbuild is the way to go.
>
> I still think sbuild is not the way to go and would rather see sbuild
> modified to handle the new source format.

sbuild will automatically use a new source format as soon as
dpkg-source knows it :-) Actually, sbuild is just a (rather blown-up
:-) wrapper around dpkg-source and dpkg-buildpackage. It's main task
are source dependencies, of course. However, it also does a lot of
minor, but nevertheless useful things (most for batch building):
getting sources from multiple locations (local or FTP), keeping log
files, timeouts, store built packages that are src-deps for later
builds, statistics, patches, ...

For my part, I wouldn't mind if dpkg-buildpackage would check
src-deps, but there should be an option to skip this. sbuild already
has checked src-deps, so this would be double work.

My personal view of sbuild is that it's a tool for mass builds. If
Debian wants to adopt it as replacement for dpkg-buildpackage, please
go ahead, I won't mind :-) But it was written with a different
intention.

Roman