Re: Conffiles and Configuration files (again)

> Hi,
> >>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
>
> Joey> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >> I do seem to remember the policy manager coming with a resolution
> >> that so stated. Conffiles are a strict subset of configuration
> >> files.
>
> Joey> I know he didn't, becuase if he had, I would still be fighting
> Joey> it tooth and nail to this day. :-)
>
> 	You are mistaken. In the message archived at the URL
>  <http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9802/msg00353.html>
>  Christian states:

> Manoj> why are all conffiles also not configuration files?
> Christian> I guess they are (or at least, should be :).
> Manoj>       Why are conffiles not a proper subset of configuration files?
> Christian> I think they are.
>
> 	I am fatigued by the mere thought of re-opening this again,
>  but you must do what you think you must do. I happen to agree with
>  Christian.

OK, an example where it might make sense to have a non-configuration file,
listed as a conffile:

  A package includes a script (under /usr/bin say) that is commonly
  customised by the local admin.

Mgetty's faxrunqd used to be like this, because it had the fax ports
hardwired in the script.

I know this probably counts as a bug in itself, but if that is the standard
procedure for users of this package on other OS's, you can expect them to feel
free to hack the script on Debian too.  This is a reason to list it as a
conffile, so that if they do go ahead and edit a script, they get warned
before it is overwritten.

If the admin does not edit the script, they will never find out about it being
a conffile, but if they do, it will save them from a lot of wasted effort when
they upgrade.

Cheers, Phil.