Re: Re: Speaking about debian-perl to conferences

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:53:37 +0100, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:

> > and if you have the opportunity to place wishes
> > you could mention the need for sane version numbers :)
> heh. What exactly do you mean though? Do you mean that some CPAN modules have version
> numbers in the form of 1.2.3 and some have the form of 1.0? I think the fact that
> they vary so widely is not so sane.

While having them in a more uniform way might be nice, what I
actually meant is that it would be helpful if one module used a
consistent scheme; we have way too many modules where we have to do
{d,u}versionmangling because they switch from x.yyyy to x.yy and
x.yy.zz or stuff like that (and we try to add 00$ or strip it or
divide .xxxx into .xx.yy or something like that).

> Do you think that perhaps the PAUSE server might have a gentle advisory that a version number
> in the form of major.minor (i.e. 1.0) might be useful for those downstream as well as useful
> for users to estimate the relative maturity of the code? Or is this one of those things that
> would be great if we could do it but we can never get everyone to do it?

I wouldn't be too optimistic; and it's no big problem anyway; just
came to my mind :)

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Aimee Mann: It's Not