Re: Re: Speaking about debian-perl to conferences

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 15:48:44 +0100, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:

>>       One of the sources from which I would like to directly plagiarize from is the
>> talk that Gunnar gave in September at YAPC::EU.[1] It is detailed and thourough, I doubt
>> I could go through the whole thing, but perhaps I could distill the talk into a shorter
>> version more appropriate for the workshop.

> Gunnar's talk would be my first source, too.
> Maybe some numbers need an update (our repo is growing each day :))
> but otherwise it covers the work of the Debian Perl Group and the
> relationship between CPAN and Debian very well.

> If you don't have enough time, I'd shorten the parts about the Perl
> community at large; and if you have the opportunity to place wishes
> you could mention the need for sane version numbers :)

heh. What exactly do you mean though? Do you mean that some CPAN modules have version
numbers in the form of 1.2.3 and some have the form of 1.0? I think the fact that
they vary so widely is not so sane. A selection:

  (0.2200-3)      libdbd-csv-perl
  (0.16001-1)     libdatetime-format-pg-perl
  (0.99.4-4)      libio-prompt-perl
  (0.2808.01-1)   libmodule-build-perl
  (0.06.1b-5)     libpdf-create-perl

Do you think that perhaps the PAUSE server might have a gentle advisory that a version number
in the form of major.minor (i.e. 1.0) might be useful for those downstream as well as useful
for users to estimate the relative maturity of the code? Or is this one of those things that
would be great if we could do it but we can never get everyone to do it?

>> Any changes I make I will run by the list first. I don't presume that I speak for debian
>> and I highly doubt anyone will confuse my presentation with any type of official policy,
>> but I do like to speak about debian whenever possible since I so strongly believe in
>> its role as the leading free linux distribution.

> I have no doubt that you as a member of the group can present our
> work in a good way!

I'll try. =)