Re: lintian's view of the world of perl

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:24:32PM -0600, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> The latest version of lintian checks for .pm files in /usr/lib/perl5 and
> generates a warning if so.  This is the result of a bug report filed by
> Adam Heath.  What the heck?  Shouldn't these things first be discussed
> _properly_ before filing bug reports and changing tools?
>
> I also don't understand why the lintian maintainer took this bug report
> on face value and implemented this check.  Is that the new way of doing
> things in Debian?

The Debian Perl Policy allows both locations, and FHS says
architecture-independent data should go to /usr/share instead of /usr/lib.
I don't see anything wrong with any of that, whereas the inconsistent state
(i.e. both directories having files) on Debian systems does strike me as
improper.

I figured that the Perl Policy didn't ban /usr/lib/perl5 because of
backwards compatibility, however, that's no reason for us to keep such
compatibility in packages in sid, and Lintian is predominantly used to
check packages going into sid.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.