Re: oo should Suggest lpr, not cupsys-bsd

Hi Jeff, thanks for your feedback.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:16:58AM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> I'm flattered, but I don't think that this is correct.  The current
> standard print system for Debian is still good ol' lpr, and people
> wanting to declare a relationship with a print system should probably
> reference that package, rather than cupsys-bsd or lprng.  (Unless they
> need an explicit dependency, of course, but I don't think that's the
> case here; most people who need to depend on CUPS client capability
> depend on libcupsys2.)  This will ensure that lprng fans aren't asked to
> remove their beloved print spooler in favor of some ungodliness. :-)

I added the Suggests as an attempt to help people who are using CUPS
already, together with this text in the README:

   If you are using CUPS and install the cupsys-bsd package, OpenOffice.org
   will automatically detect your printer queues.

It is really just a hint because many people don't realise that installing
cupsys-bsd is an easier way to use printers with OOo.  OOo also works with
CUPS directly, but you have to add the printer queues manually with the
'spadmin' tool.  lpr/lprng installs work out of the box AFAIK, so I didn't
do anything special or mention them in the Suggests.  I haven't heard of any
lpr or lprng users interpreting my Suggests as a call to replace the print
system.

> CUPS people don't need to fear this; cupsys-bsd Provides lpr, so all
> will be well.

What if I changed it to Suggests: cupsys-bsd | lpr?  I know it not strictly
necessary to include cupsys-bsd, but many users of OOo+CUPS have not realised
that OOo printing is so much easier if it is installed and I would like to
continue to convey the hint to those people.

Chris