Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:17:30PM +0200, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> > Another DD pointed me at the tool "chrpath" which is able to remove
> > the RPATH in a library. Would you recommend using that?
>
>  Absolutely not. The RPATH is required for bindings to C library that
>  are used (at the C level) for other bindings to other C library.

Mmm you seem really knowledgeable on this issue, do you care to give us
a small explanation of what the rpath is for (in the ocaml case) or
something such, which i could then later include in the
ocaml_packaging_policy ?

>  If you remove the RPATH from that binding, I know of no other way to
>  develop a new binding to another library based on yours ;-(((

I had the impression that it had to do with the place where the
libraries are stored, and not so much about what the library names are.
So the impression i get is that it is less important in the ocaml
package, since we know where each library is, in the place the policy
mandates, but then, i may be wrong on this, and nobody did already
explain this to me in a satisfactory way.

That said, i would have to check the planet executable this evening, but
i was under the impression that it was a binary executable and not a
library.