Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:45:49AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Ocaml maintainers!
>
> Am 2003-04-11 11:11 +0200 schrieb Sven Luther:
> > > It seems to be against Debian policy to use rpath; on the other hand,
> > > the ocaml linker does not seem to allow disabling it (at least the
> > > documentation says nothing about this issue).
> >
> > Well, see the huge flamewars about this on debian-mentors some time
> > back. It didn't resulted in any conclusive result though.
>
> Hmm, that's a pity.

I think it is a controversial issue anyway, so there is no clear
decision one way or the other.

> > > lintian says:
> > >
> > > W: planets: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/planets
> > > /usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
> > > N:
> > > N:   The binary or shared library defines the `RPATH'. Usually this is a
> > > N:   bad thing. Most likely you will find a Makefile with a line like:
> > > N:       gcc test.o -o test -Wl,--rpath
> > > N:   or
> > > N:       gcc test.o -o test -R/usr/local/lib
> > > N:   Please contact debian-devel@lists.debian.org if you have questions
> > > N:   about this.
> >
> > Just ignore it or add a override.
>
> Okay, if the ocaml maintainer himself tells me that, I feel assured to
> do that. :-)

:))) That is also what the ocaml upstream suggest. Maybe we could go
beyond that, but i don't think there really is a true benefit of it
compared to the time spend to modify it. Also ...

> Another DD pointed me at the tool "chrpath" which is able to remove
> the RPATH in a library. Would you recommend using that?

... well, i don't think i would recomend it, since the ocaml situation
is a bit different from the C situation. I would really need to have a
look at your package to say more, usually it happens because of a C
binding stub lib, and involves the dynamic linking of those by the ocaml
runtime system. I would not modify these things before making sure the
ocaml runtime works well with it ... Mmm, i suppose you are building on
i386 only and thus producing native code executables, you are aware that
this will break on all the arches where the native code is not supported
(m68k, hppa, s390, mips, mipsel i think).

> > I will try to have a look at your package this evening, if you give
> > me a pointer to it.
>
> Ups. I just started yesterday evening, the package is not yet in a
> good shape (no manpage yet, Makefile needs to be adapted, does not yet
> support non-native compiling, etc.). However, these are quite
> independent from the rpath issue, so if you are willing to take the
> time, I would be pleased, of course.

No problem, i want to look at the build system and the resulting
executables, to see where the rpath comes from. Upstream code would do
as well for that.

> The package's name is "planets" (see RFP #187988, ITP'ed by me) and
> I will always upload the current version to my hompage, where they are
> referenced by
>
> 	http://www.piware.de/Sources.gz

Ok, i will look at it.

> > That said :
> >
> >   1) have you read the ocaml packaging policy in /usr/share/doc/ocaml ?
>
> Of course. It was helpful for various packaging considerations, but
> does not mention rpath.

I will have to update it. BTW, you are using the sid ocaml packages,
right ?

> >   2) There is a debian-ocaml-maint mailing list that is maybe more
> >   suited to discusing things related to packaging ocaml stuff, and i
> >   will CC this mail there, where you may want to subscribe if you are
> >   going to maintain ocaml related stuff.
>
> Thanks and sorry for choosing the wrong list.

No problem.