Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:56:34PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm just packaging planets (#187988) which is written in ML and
> compiled with ocaml. The problem is that the ocaml linker uses the
> rpath feature (i. e. hardcoded libary paths).

Yes, it does ...

> It seems to be against Debian policy to use rpath; on the other hand,
> the ocaml linker does not seem to allow disabling it (at least the
> documentation says nothing about this issue).

Well, see the huge flamewars about this on debian-mentors some time
back. It didn't resulted in any conclusive result though.

> lintian says:
>
> W: planets: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/planets
> /usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
> N:
> N:   The binary or shared library defines the `RPATH'. Usually this is a
> N:   bad thing. Most likely you will find a Makefile with a line like:
> N:       gcc test.o -o test -Wl,--rpath
> N:   or
> N:       gcc test.o -o test -R/usr/local/lib
> N:   Please contact debian-devel@lists.debian.org if you have questions
> N:   about this.

Just ignore it or add a override.

> Does anybody know whether it's possible to avoid that? If not, it is
> just a warning, so how bad it would be just to ignore it?

Well, as ocaml packager, i would vote for letting it like that, as said,
there are argument for both solutions, and i prefer to let things like
upstream does it (be it only for compatibility with other non-debian
related packages). That said, i thought that this kind of problem only
occured with library packages using C binding stub libs. I will try to
have a look at your package this evening, if you give me a pointer to
it.

That said :

  1) have you read the ocaml packaging policy in /usr/share/doc/ocaml ?

  2) There is a debian-ocaml-maint mailing list that is maybe more
  suited to discusing things related to packaging ocaml stuff, and i
  will CC this mail there, where you may want to subscribe if you are
  going to maintain ocaml related stuff.