Re: Intent to become a Debian Maintainer

On 01:49 Fri 03 Apr     , Stephen Birch wrote:
> First .. welcome to NM, otherwise known as Dante's Inferno "all hope
> abandon, ye who enter here" :-)  I am sorry to say NM has a rather poor
> reputation.
>
> Could I ask a small favor?
>
> Would you keep a diary and log everything that happens as you travel
> along the NM route, take careful notes and record all emails.  I am very
> curious to see if the NM process has become more approachable.

Hi,

This mail is not adressed to me, but as Im at the end of NM (DAM approval), I can
tell you my point of view....

I think P&P and T&S are well done, NM applicant will learn a lot of things that
you have to know before being a DD.

The point is that if you have a good and quickly responsive AM everything goes
fine. I had 'kaol' as AM and I was very happy to see his quickly and useful
answers. I could have finish NM sooner but that's my fault since I was busy
sometimes. I think, I could have finish NM in 4-5 months with 'kaol' if I had
more free time.

I will raise another point, FD and DAM approval wich take time but it's
understandable since they have to review the whole NM application... A good
thing could be to have more people on it to have it faster done. (just my 2
cents)

If you have further questions, feel free...

An idea I had during the NM process, we could maybe have a place where NMs could
express their opinion about the NM process in order to improve it. DDs cannot
really see what happens. Only NMs are able to tell us how we can improve the NM
process...

For example, during the P&P step about licence reading and detecting why a
licence is not DFSG compliant, we could have one or more example of licence
analysis to help us to understand critical points. (Im not an english native
tong speaker so it was the hardest step for me).

Greetings,
--
  ,''`.  Xavier Oswald <x.oswald@free.fr>
 : :' :  GNU/LINUX Debian Maintainer