Re: Debian Membership

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 10:26:25PM +0000, Martin Meredith wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:27:04PM +0100, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 08:16:18PM +0000, Martin Meredith wrote:
> > > Sponsors etc I mean people who make a significant contribution to the project
> > > via sponsorship. Say for example, someone who donates a machine, bandwidth etc. Not
> > > someone who dumps a couple of $ across via paypal now and then.
> >
> > And they can *apply* to become a member and don't become one
> > automatically, right?
>
> Yep, noone should become a member automatically unless they apply (except for
> the case of applying for DD or Debian Maintainer, which should imply Membership)
>
> > > Again, with someone who is a Debian Maintainer, I'd assume their Membership to
> > > be implied from this. If you got accepted as a Maintainer/Developer, then you'd
> > > have membership to the project.
> >
> > Ah, okay, thanks for clarification.
> >
> > > I'm basically suggesting that, along with the current process(es) we also have a
> > > process where someone can become a member without any upload rights. I'm also
> > > suggesting that current Maintainers/DDs should have this membership implied from
> > > the DM/DD status (which DDs already do)
> >
> > That would probably lead to a lot more members and it seems to be a fair
> > idea. I still don't know if fully agree with the consequences in mind
> > but then I don't have voting rights now, so it's up to you. :)
>
> We may get a lot of new members, but those members would have had to have made a
> sustained contribution to Debian to be accepted as a member. Which in that case,
> I think that it's only fair that they have voting rights.
>
> Just to clarify, these are my personal opinions, not those of the Debian Project
> as a whole. While I'd like to see something similar to what I've suggested
> actually happen, that would be up to a vote of the current Project Members
>
> > Thanks for making it more clear!

I've just been talking to Jan briefly in IRC, and he bought up a valid point, so
I'd like to add to my suggestion that there be some sort of "renewal" system.
So, for example, if someone wanted to, they could let their membership lapse,
or, if they're contributions cease, then after a certain period, they'd no
longer have their membership. This would possibly be under a similar line to the
current "MIA", though i'd suggest that it doesn't apply to emeritus, etc, or
there at least be classes of people who aren't bound by activity within the
project as to whether their membership expires, but only by them for example,
not responding to an annual "Please go here to renew your membership"