Re: Debian Membership

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:27:04PM +0100, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 08:16:18PM +0000, Martin Meredith wrote:
> > Sponsors etc I mean people who make a significant contribution to the project
> > via sponsorship. Say for example, someone who donates a machine, bandwidth etc. Not
> > someone who dumps a couple of $ across via paypal now and then.
>
> And they can *apply* to become a member and don't become one
> automatically, right?

Yep, noone should become a member automatically unless they apply (except for
the case of applying for DD or Debian Maintainer, which should imply Membership)

> > Again, with someone who is a Debian Maintainer, I'd assume their Membership to
> > be implied from this. If you got accepted as a Maintainer/Developer, then you'd
> > have membership to the project.
>
> Ah, okay, thanks for clarification.
>
> > I'm basically suggesting that, along with the current process(es) we also have a
> > process where someone can become a member without any upload rights. I'm also
> > suggesting that current Maintainers/DDs should have this membership implied from
> > the DM/DD status (which DDs already do)
>
> That would probably lead to a lot more members and it seems to be a fair
> idea. I still don't know if fully agree with the consequences in mind
> but then I don't have voting rights now, so it's up to you. :)

We may get a lot of new members, but those members would have had to have made a
sustained contribution to Debian to be accepted as a member. Which in that case,
I think that it's only fair that they have voting rights.

Just to clarify, these are my personal opinions, not those of the Debian Project
as a whole. While I'd like to see something similar to what I've suggested
actually happen, that would be up to a vote of the current Project Members