Re: NM status: separate DAM approval and account creation?

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:25:56PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 10246 March 1977, ivan-debian-newmaint@420.am wrote:
>
> BTW: Ivan Kohler, why dont you write your full name when you write such
> amusing mails? We need that for our fortune databases.

I am attempting to have a constructive discussion [1].  Your amusement
is your own.

I'm not out to hide my identity.  My full name is Ivan Kohler.  I'm 29
years old and live with my girlfriend and two cats in Truckee,
California.  You can call me at +1 415 462 1624.  I have been a Debian
developer for longer than many of you.  I like skiing, records,
computers, and cats.  I make a full-time living writing and supporting a
free software billing and ticketing package for ISPs, VoIP providers and
online businesses.  I'm easily google-stalkable, knock yourself out.

> >> Oh thanks. So I should go?
> > If you're not going to MANAGE ACCOUNTS as you were appointed to do,
> > then, yes, please step down from the role of Debian ACCOUNTS MANAGER.
>
> So you clearly have not a single bit of knowledge how it works.
> Nice to know.

I can only go by what information is available publicly and the
historical record of that role.  As I understand it, the DAM reviews
applications and manages accounts.  If that's not "how it works", well,
the fault is yours for retroactively redefining the role of "DAM" and
not sharing that information with the rest of us.  Nice to know.

> > The situation is now *worse* than before, we're giving our applicants
> > the impression that the process is getting unclogged and that they are
> > finally complete but in reality they're still waiting indefinately on
> > the same inactive single person to actually create new accounts.
>
> Oh yeah, we only had 39 new Accounts in 3 months. Its
> soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worse compared to what we had
> before.

A few accounts finally trickling through (which is certainly a good
thing) is not some blanket negation of criticism of any aspect of the
process.

The *process* is still bottlenecked on a single person.  I'm frankly
dumbfounded that you, as an additional DAM who was appointed to relieve
that bottleneck, are being hostile towards those of us asking you to
actually do so.

> >> Maybe to take away some load from James?  Like - reading the whole
> >> stuff, looking what he did/does and actually deciding "Yes, I think he
> >> would give a good DD"? And take the responsibility if you make crap with it.
> > You weren't appointed to "Back Desk" or "DAM helper" - you were
> > appointed to DAM.  Please fulfull the responsibilities of that role or
> > step down.  If you just want to approve applications, then ask to be
> > re-appointed to "Back Desk" and let's have someone else appointed as an
> > additional DAM.
>
> Like you?

That was *not* my implication.  I'm sure Debian would prefer someone
else in that role.  I already put my time where my mouth is and
volunteered to automate the account creation process, if the reason
you're not creating accounts is simply that it isn't scripted enough.

--
_ivan

[1] Yes, I should know better, this is Debian, where any questioning of
the status quo is met with ridicule and dismissal.