Re: multimedia-policy: user/group information and PAM

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:37:43AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've added to the wiki page [1] a reference to 'audio' 'video' groups
> that seem to exist, but rarely documented.  If you know where it is
> already documented, I'd like to add a pointer to that document,
> otherwise, multimedia policy will be the first document defining what
> it does (although it may sound obvious from the name).
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

Hi,

Thanks for stepping ahead and starting this, some comments regarding the
page:

You talk about group configuration. Maybe it would be good to merge the
"configuring user/group settings" with the contents of the last point
("Current problems" in "Video Policy"). They talk about the same problem.

I actually think that the configuration of the multimedia package could
take care of that by automatically adding the "main user" to this groups,
after confirmation of course. For the rest we will have to wait for adduser,
or help the adduser team.

I propose to add 2 sections to the document, 1 is the contents of the multimedia package like:

Multimedia Package:

- adds the user to the multimedia groups
- holds the user documentation and policy documents

another one that is a list of tasks and who is responsible:

- check out the status of adduser and help the adduser maintainer
- check out the status of pam, help the pam maintainers to upgrade to
  the latest pam release (which supports realtime privileges already and
  fixes several of the open bugs in the current debian pam packages)
- make the transition from ladcca to lash (I am going to do this these
  days)

For the section "Well known device files", there are some additions,
like all the ALSA stuff. (ls /dev/snd). I am not sure to what degree handling
of /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom falls into the responsibility of a debian-multimedia.
If you talk about video you might mention /dev/video too.

Regarding the "sound input/output selection" section:

This is the most problematic part, as these issues are generally handled
(or not) by the applications themselves, which would require us to
write wrappers for almost every application. I agree with the order
you propose.

For doing OSS to JACK output I have written a software that does it
in some cases. It is called "jacklaunch" and is part of the libjackasyn
library. It doesn't work in all cases though, but that can be improved.
I don't know about the jackdsp software you talk about.

The midi issues you mention is another critical point. As LASH is
doing this kind of configuration too, before defining files for settings,
etc we have to check out if LASH can help us here. (Means I have to package
it soon).

Sorry, a bit long. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Günter