installing lenny on SGI O2,unable to change color depth or resolution

Hi all,
I have installed lenny on SGI O2, and iam using the fbdev driver, X works in 8 bit resolution.
But, Iam facing a problem that Iam not able to increase the color depth to 15 bit. The Xserver crashes and the error information given is "FBIOPUT_VSCEREENINFO succeeded but modified mode. Mode initialization failed.

can you help me out? I tried to search google and various forums, but was not able to get  a suitable solution.Thanks in advance
Manoj