Re: Debian kernel for Loongson

Op 20100717 om 10:20 schreef Geert Stappers:
> Op 20100716 om 17:26 schreef Geert Stappers:

Now an update on my "journey"

> > Hello Debian MIPS people,
> >
> > This E-mail is asking for the shortest way to a Debian Linux kernel
> > for a MIPS mini PC.
> > I assume I have the same kind of hardware as Andreas Barth is talking
> > about in http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2010/05/msg00001.html
> > I'm aware of http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=583689
> > where "aba" is also in action.
> >
> > In other words: others are allready in pursuit and I wanna got after then.
> >
> > So the challenge I'm facing is 'How to catch up?' !
> > And my main worries are to loose valuable time on things that could have
> > been avoided.
> >
> > Hence my list of questions:
> >
> > * Will cross compiling on an AMD64 get to the wanted result?
> > * Would a "native compile" a safer bet? ( 'safer' as in being
> >   more sure to get _faster_ to result )

To avoid setting up a cross compiler, I choose "native build".

> > * How to identify that a recent and proper working toolchain
> >   is available?
> > * From which location to get the Linux kernel source? ( IOW
> >   how to get to a state as http://bugs.debian.org/583689 describes? )
> > * When having the "right" Linux kernel source, how to get to the
> >   "right"  .config file?
> >

> > If I missed the roadplan for my destination, then please point me to
> > the documentation I'm looking for.
>
> http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/

That good documentation got me to my desired destination. I have now
a 2.6.35 kernel running on my loongson-2f system.

For those who want to reproduce that, here some "travel advice"
 - In version 2.6.35-rc5 where bugs that are fixed in 2.6.35-rc6
 - My kernel misses USB Host controllor
 - Native compile took more as a full day

Groeten
Geert Stappers