Re: Debian-MIPS-RAQ2 NetBoot Install

* David Thurman <listonly@webpresencegroup.net> [2004-07-26 16:14]:
> And we are using a Debian Woody server as the DHCP and NFS source
> machine.  Unfortunately we are an all Mac desktop environment so
> using the how to from Martin Michlmayr at
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/cobalt/sarge.html may not work for us,
> though last case will be to take our Voice Mail server off-line and
> try that.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you're saying.  Why do you think you
cannot use my description?  Is it because Debian sarge has not
been released yet as "stable"?  If so, I wouldn't worry about that
because we'll release it in a few months.

You can simply use your woody server as the DHCP and NFS source for
the Cobalt installation.  You need need sarge on your server.  Maybe
that's not clear in my description?

> In Paul's how to he refers to /nfsroot and also /mnt/nfsroot and
> states to place the vmxlinux_raq-2800.gz in /nfsroot but keeps
> referring to /mnt/nfsroot, I also have the nfsroot.tar.gz package,
> and his how to doesn't make it clear on where to place this package,
> we tried both /nfsroot and /mnt/nfsroot.

Ah, yeah, the description is a bit misleading.  There are 2 things
Paul's install needs: the kernel, and the NFS base environment.  The
kernel _needs_ to be in /nfsroot because this is where the Cobalt's
firmware will look for it.  However, the NFS base can be anywhere -
Paul's HOWTO uses /mnt/nfsroot.  Basically, put the NFS base where
your DHCP's root-path points to.

In other words, vmlinux_raq-2800.gz needs to be in /nfsroot and
unpack nfsroot.tar.gz into /mnt/nfsroot.

> We are using a firewall on the Debian server, are there ports I need
> to open to get the Raq to be able to grab the package? We opened
> 111, 600 and NFS to our Public block.

Did it actually load the kernel?  Where did it stop?  I suppose it
didn't actually load the kernel.  Some Cobalt machines look for a
kernel named vmlinux_raq-2800.gz but other models look for other
names.  Try copying this file to vmlinux_RAQ.gz and vmlinux.gz.  Maybe
this helps.
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com