Re: Debian-MIPS-RAQ2 NetBoot Install [SCANNED]

On 7/26/04 5:28 PM, "Martin Michlmayr" wrote:

> Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you're saying.  Why do you think you
> cannot use my description?  Is it because Debian sarge has not
> been released yet as "stable"?  If so, I wouldn't worry about that
> because we'll release it in a few months.
>
> You can simply use your woody server as the DHCP and NFS source for
> the Cobalt installation.  You need need sarge on your server.  Maybe
> that's not clear in my description?

I am assuming, which is always wrong on my part, that your method needs a
serial cable to manage the install, where as Paul's claims the LCD will
provide a telnet access. We use those wonderful Mac's without all the extras
:(

I did read your how to and I just may have to go that route. I know a lot of
the information on Paul's is 2 years old and a lot may have changed.

>> In Paul's how to he refers to /nfsroot and also /mnt/nfsroot and
>> states to place the vmxlinux_raq-2800.gz in /nfsroot but keeps
>> referring to /mnt/nfsroot, I also have the nfsroot.tar.gz package,
>> and his how to doesn't make it clear on where to place this package,
>> we tried both /nfsroot and /mnt/nfsroot.
>
> Ah, yeah, the description is a bit misleading.  There are 2 things
> Paul's install needs: the kernel, and the NFS base environment.  The
> kernel _needs_ to be in /nfsroot because this is where the Cobalt's
> firmware will look for it.  However, the NFS base can be anywhere -
> Paul's HOWTO uses /mnt/nfsroot.  Basically, put the NFS base where
> your DHCP's root-path points to.
>
> In other words, vmlinux_raq-2800.gz needs to be in /nfsroot and
> unpack nfsroot.tar.gz into /mnt/nfsroot.

We did that.

>> We are using a firewall on the Debian server, are there ports I need
>> to open to get the Raq to be able to grab the package? We opened
>> 111, 600 and NFS to our Public block.
>
> Did it actually load the kernel?  Where did it stop?  I suppose it
> didn't actually load the kernel.  Some Cobalt machines look for a
> kernel named vmlinux_raq-2800.gz but other models look for other
> names.  Try copying this file to vmlinux_RAQ.gz and vmlinux.gz.  Maybe
> this helps.
I don't think it is, I will try some different namings. I looked at the Sun
Restore CD and not much to go on for ho they want the kernel named. Looks
like vmlinux.gz??

Thanks for the help so far.

--
David Thurman