Re: Trying to boot the install for Woody mipsel on Decstation 5000/240

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 11:46:27AM -0400, Len Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:26:57AM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:

> > Are you using serial console? If yes, you have to boot with
> > "console=ttyS2" as kernel parameter. If you are using graphics
> > console: which graphics adapter do you have in your system?
> > Currently only PMAG-BA and PMAGB-B are supported.
>
> Oh crap!  I should have thought of that.  I have a PMAG-AA.  Doh!
> Well NetBSD supports it, I guess I can try serial console for the install
> and then play with it afterwards.
>
> The caps lock and such was working, so I guess I should have thought
> the console was unsupported.  Do I add hte console parameter to the boot
> loader line (well the boot prompt line I guess)? I would assume so since
> that is where the -a parameter for netbsd is put.

I have never booted via mop, but I assume the process is the same
as via tftp, where you boot like

boot 3/tftp console=ttyS2

BTW, there seems to be a bug in the serial console code which
occurs when you have the firmware console on a graphics card
but run linux with serial console, so switch the firmware console
to serial port (setenv console s) before booting.

The PMAG-AA is unsupported due to a rather simple reason: the guys
who wrote the framebuffer support do not have one (and an appropriate
monitor). Do you know what kind of video signal the PMAG-AA emits?
Is this a plain "normal" analog video signal with 1Vss, that can be
displayed by a "normal" multisync monitor, or is this some kind of
"digital" TTL-level signal?

regards,
Karsten
--