Re: debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/devel/binutils-mipsel-linux.deb,gcc-mipsel-linux.deb, etc.

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 10:57:35AM -0700, Pete Popov wrote:

> I don't think the MontaVista tools are MontaVista specific in any way. If the
> source rpms are available, and they are, then I see it as vendor neutral. But I
> do understand that this doesn't work for Debian systems so it would be nice if
> someone setup a similar cross environment that works on Debian. I can't imagine
> having to compile all of those packages natively, when a 1.2G motherboard and
> CPU is $200.

We had this discussion before and i know the positions tend to be
very different. Most of todays autoconfiged software is difficult to
cross-compile. Everything in the debian distribution is compiled natively
and this will stay this way. The debian gcc/binutils source packages
contained the hooks for cross-binutils and cross-gcc but they have been
disabled as the number of users is VERY low and the compile times for 10+
binutils are very long for slow archs like mips/mipsel/m68k etc.

Flo