Re: Out of Date Package and Maintainer Absence

Hi Bart, thanks for the reply.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> I'm intentionally answering to debian-mentors instead of debian-devel.
>
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:27:22PM -0700, Vincent W. Chen wrote:
>> My questions involve bug #684395 and the FVWM package. Though the bug
>> is only severity: wishlist, I do hope to see newer version make it to
>> Wheezy,
>
> Feel free to ask debian-release to grant an unblock for the newer upstream
> release as an exception to the freeze policy.
>
>> seeing as how the last NMU was on 2012 May 5 and the last
>> update by maintainer Manoj was on 2010 Jun 8. As indicated in the bug
>> report, the current version in Debian is outdated and no longer
>> maintained by upstream. I have contacted Manoj and his reply was
>> included in the bug report, but no update has been received from him
>> since, which was over a month ago.
>>
>> I am willing to co-maintain the package with Manoj, or even maintain
>> it by myself if he's no longer interested in dealing with it. But
>> since there has been no reply
>
> Manoj Srivastava wrote on the bug report "I would love to have a co-maintainer.
> I would even give up maintainership, if you prefer that.".
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=15;bug=684395

I understand the two options he presented. I merely expected some sort
of reply from him to my two messages since. I'll try to contact him
privately again.

>> from him I now turn to the list: any
>> suggestion on what I should do now, or what I should have done?
>
> You can choose between the two options Manoj Srivastava gave you.  Your package
> at mentors has "needs sponsor = no", so you could switch that to "yes" if you
> are looking for a sponsor.

I understand that I would need a sponsor for my package. The reason
why I did not mark it as needing sponsor was because I'm not adopting
nor am I filing ITP --- the package already belongs to a maintainer.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the process and I should just go on and
look for a mentor?

Regards,

Vincent Chen