Re: Out of Date Package and Maintainer Absence

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 03:58:47PM -0700, Vincent W. Chen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org> wrote:
> > I'm intentionally answering to debian-mentors instead of debian-devel.
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:27:22PM -0700, Vincent W. Chen wrote:
> >> seeing as how the last NMU was on 2012 May 5 and the last
> >> update by maintainer Manoj was on 2010 Jun 8. As indicated in the bug
> >> report, the current version in Debian is outdated and no longer
> >> maintained by upstream. I have contacted Manoj and his reply was
> >> included in the bug report, but no update has been received from him
> >> since, which was over a month ago.
> >>
> >> I am willing to co-maintain the package with Manoj, or even maintain
> >> it by myself if he's no longer interested in dealing with it. But
> >> since there has been no reply
> >
> > Manoj Srivastava wrote on the bug report "I would love to have a co-maintainer.
> > I would even give up maintainership, if you prefer that.".
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=15;bug=684395
> >
> I understand the two options he presented. I merely expected some sort
> of reply from him to my two messages since. I'll try to contact him
> privately again.

I have now read those two messages.  You can start without commit access.  You
can find a sponsor here.  No need to repeat your wish to (co-)maintain the
package, as Manoj already offered you two options about that.  As far as I can
see your additional questions are all answered already.

> >> from him I now turn to the list: any
> >> suggestion on what I should do now, or what I should have done?
> >
> > You can choose between the two options Manoj Srivastava gave you.  Your package
> > at mentors has "needs sponsor = no", so you could switch that to "yes" if you
> > are looking for a sponsor.
> >
> I understand that I would need a sponsor for my package.

Yes.

> The reason
> why I did not mark it as needing sponsor was because I'm not adopting
> nor am I filing ITP --- the package already belongs to a maintainer.

One of the two options Manoj gave you, is that you would take over
maintainership of the package, and then you could file an ITA.

> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the process and I should just go on and
> look for a mentor?

Feel free to go ahead and look for a mentor/sponsor.

Regards,

Bart Martens