Re: Advice on packaging libmusicbrainz4

In article <[🔎] slrnjm45ev.h3c.andy@atom.gently.org.uk>,
           Andy Hawkins<andy@gently.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi again,
> In article <[🔎] 20120315002612.GM15420@ofb.net>,
>            Nicholas Breen<nbreen@debian.org> wrote:
>> Does the old library still function with the MusicBrainz service?  If it's just
>> deadweight now, you could also work to transition all packages still using the
>> old library (there are four) to the new, request the removal of the old
>> library, and then eventually take over the libmusicbrainz4-dev package name.
>
> The more I think about this, the more I think that it won't work anyway. I
> need to double check, but I think libmb2 used the RDF web service, that was
> removed when NGS was released.

Ok, it's official. Libmusicbrainz4c2a will no longer work. It used the old
RDF web service:

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/?title=libmusicbrainz&oldid=41766#Version_2.x

"This version of the client library uses the old RDF web service and should
not be used in new development."

When NGS was introduced, the RDF web service was removed.

> If that's the case, what's the procedure for getting this 'old' libmb4
> package removed, and a new one put in its place?

I guess this is the key question now. What's the procedure for having all
the musicbrainz 2.x libraries (and their dependancies) removed from Debian?
Once they're removed, could I then use the libmusicbrainz4 name?

Cheers

Andy