Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <alexander@schmehl.info> writes:

> [..]
>> We're not doing any license checks, although pabs was pushing use of
>> automated license checks. We're aware of that problem, but we're not
>> having any implementation right now. Yet we're deleting packages where
>> we notice they're not distributable (i.e. not even non-free). Yes,
>> that's a post-publishing removal.
>
> Hmmm... What about making the orig tarballs only accessible from Debian
> machines?  In theory only sponsors need it, and sponsors have access to
> these machines.

Possibly stupid idea, but.. what if an ftp-master trainee or someone
similar would preview packages uploaded to mentors? [*]

I might be mistaken, but the amount of NEW stuff isn't all that huge,
and this review would concentrate on distributability alone, so would be
fairly fast in most cases.

This would introduce a noticable delay to uploaded packages (in the
meantime, the package could be made available from .d.o hosts or so,
would anyone want to review the package before it leaves
mentors-NEW).

On the other hand, having done a preliminary license check at the time
it was uploaded to mentors, that note could be passed on to ftp-masters
once the package hits the real NEW, thus, reducing their work a little.

This way, mentors.d.o gets licence review, the work to be done once the
package enters NEW gets reduced, the package would be available to DDs
before the license check, to everyone else too afterwards - pretty much
everyone wins!

--
|8]

 [*]: Search this email's headers for an answer to a question that's
 bound to be asked.