Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

Hi!

Am 19.01.2012 14:22, schrieb Arno Töll:

>> Hmmm... What about making the orig tarballs only accessible from
>> Debian machines? In theory only sponsors need it, and sponsors have
>> access to these machines.
> I am not sure if that's the right message to send to people. We want and
> push anyone, including non-sponsors to review packages. We believe
> everyone can learn from other people's packaging styles - for good or
> not. There are quite a lot of people doing reviews and look at packages.
>
> Your workaround complicates handling with source packages to
> non-developers a lot, and even developers can be scared off by that
> requirement.
>
> A substantial problem in our whole approach is to attract Debian
> Developers to sponsoring again. If we're complicating access to
> packages, that's sort of counterproductive.

Well, don't take it wrong:  Mentors is a very usefull service, it was a
just an idea which might allow you to become mentors.debian.org.

As said, I don't think there's a problem distribute .dsc and
diff.gz/debian.tar.gz files.  (which still allows a limited review.)

About the orig tarball... Well, in many cases it's available somewhere
else for download already.  So maybe mentors could have a "Get tarball
here" entry where sponsorees can place an URL.  (No security risk; you
can sill verify if the sponsorees and the downloaded tarball match.)
And then it's only a minor step to a dget-mentors-Script (or maybe a
patch for dget to automatically take a look at the url field, when
downloading from mentors).

Granted, not a really good solution, but doable.

Best regards,
  Alexander