Re: How to bring life into a (Tk) package?

Hello,

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 11:21:08 +0100
debian-devel@liska.ath.cx (Olе Streicher) wrote:

> On the build side, I find the policy quite confusing: It says "Build
> dependencies for Tcl/Tk dependent packages must be declared for every
> Tcl/Tk version, that the package is built for. In order to build for a
> specific version, add the versioned Tcl/Tk packages dependencies; it
> is generally better and recommended depending on the appropriate
> default packages with an eventual strict or relaxed versioning."

> Since the package can be build for 8.4 as well as for 8.5, what
> should I put into the Build-Depends and Depends? The old package used

> Build-Depends: [...] tcl8.4-dev, tk8.4-dev
> Depends: [...] tcl|tcl8.5|tcl8.4|tcl8.3, tk|tk8.5|tk8.4|tk8.3

> Is it OK to just replace that with the unversioned relationships?

Tcl API is stable enough to just depend on the lowest version it builds
against; however, it's better to build-depend on unversioned packages
(eg tcl and tk instead of tcl8.5 and tk8.5) but use versioned
dependencies on unversioned packages for your binaries (like, tcl
(>=8.5.0)). Also, please use tcltk-depends to put the correct versions
into Depends fields.

--
WBR, Andrew