Re: RFS: yast2-devtools

Am 10.11.2011 12:08, schrieb Arno Töll:
> On 10.11.2011 11:42, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>> I'm just curious: what is this used for? Isn't YaST only used by SuSE?

YaST was licensed under GPLv2 somewhen in 2004/2005. So it can be used
by anyone and inside any distri, although it is currently on used in
(open)SuSE, yet.

yast2-devtools is the central-pkg, which is need to compile the
YaST-core and to develop and/or compile the modules which add functions
or config-tools to YaST [1] [2].

Since the effort of a GSoC-project, which made libYUI (I'll talk on that
later) independent of zypper (pkg-management in SuSE) [3]. It would be a
piece of cake to have the basic YaST-components to be ported to debian.

The YasT-modules themselves need to be modded or redevlopped for debian,
like make them use debconf, aptitude, dpkg or other debian-native tools
instead of SuSE-native ones.

libYUI (Yast User Interface) is a nifty lib to develop UIs using
ncurses, gtk and qt. The special about it is you only need only one pice
of code to get your UI work without having to worry about your tools is
run from console, gnome, kde or somewhat else [4]. It was initially
designed to make YaST's UI independent from the user's environment.

So I think YaST would be a piece software, which could bring debian to
larger audience by giving a way to setup daemons or system-settings in
an easy way, even when you're just using a console-based (server-)system

> YaST has been liberated from its non-free origins a while ago. There
> even was an approach to introduce it to Debian once [1]. So, in theory
> you could run YaST on every distribution. Question remains whether you
> really want that, as YaST's messing in configuration files definitively
> breaks a random number of paragraphs in the Debian policy.

YaST itself isn't messing around in the confs. This is the problem of
SusE.config (which is called by several YaST-modules inside SusE).
SuSE.config is the more or less somewhat compound of debconf. So for
debian the modules need to be modded as stated above.

> That said, I do not know at all, what yast2-devtools is used/needed for,
> so I should perhaps shut up and let Björn answer.
>

> [1] http://yast4debian.alioth.debian.org/

[1]  http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_development

[2]  http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:YaST_tutorials_development_in_general

[3]  http://nbprashanth.wordpress.com/category/gsoc/

[4]
http://www.slideshare.net/hedgehogpainter/3-uis-for-the-price-of-one-code

I hope this gives a bit of information to this.

BR,

Björn.