Re: What is the proper way to rename scripts?

On Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:26:21 PM Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals
(RainCT) wrote:
> 2011/11/2 Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com>:
> > I have put in a patch to change all references to this script. This
> > includes references in the build procedure. Therefore, the renaming must
> > take place before any part of the build procedure runs. Just like it
> > always had the new name. What is the canonical way to do this? Thank
> > You.
>
> Whenever I've encountered this situation I just change all references
> after the build procedure, invoking "sed" from debian/rules (I find
> this much cleaner than using patches, since it doesn't require any
> changes if the files change, etc., you just have to be cautious that
> the clean rule reverts the changes correctly).

That will not work. The build procedure, (the part comming from upstream), has
been changed to use the new name.
I do not care to figure out which references to the script are in the build
procedure and which need to exist at runtime. There may be some references to
the script that are used by both.

The rename really needs to happen before build or installation.

Is there an dh override that is commonly used to hook in before the build
procedure runs?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J