Re: What is the proper way to rename scripts?

On Wednesday, November 02, 2011 05:50:29 AM Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 02.11.2011 11:36, schrieb Paul Elliott:
> > Because of  Debian Policy Manual section 10.4 (Scripts)
> >
> > I must rename a script.
> >
> > What is the proper way to accomplish this when using dh 7?
>
> Use a dh_install_override to install normaly, and rename the file
> afterwards.

I have put in a patch to change all references to this script. This includes
references in the build procedure. Therefore, the renaming must take place
before any part of the build procedure runs. Just like it always had the new
name. What is the canonical way to do this? Thank You.

I can not change references outside the package, like references in web pages
referring to the software, emails people have sent to each other telling them
how to use it, and so-forth, therefore the change is sure to cause problems.
But this is an objection that applies to many programs. People should really
reconsider this policy.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J