Re: Overriding .desktop file with localized version (QasMixer)

Am 01.11.2011 16:05, schrieb Alexander Reichle-Schmehl:
> Hi!
>
> Am 01.11.2011 15:34, schrieb Sebastian H.:
>
>>> Why?  Why not install the desktop file with the localized strings in
>>> with the proper package?
>> 1. It allows to add new translations or update existing ones
>> without having to change/revalidate the (fat) qasmixer package.
>
> And how often does that happen?

How much does it take to justify the split?

As a matter of fact I'm waiting for one translation right now and the
translator is quite busy. And he's just one of several traslators who
all do it in their spare time whenever they're up to it of course.

>> 2. The l10n package can be used for all architectures.
>> This should save some precious bytes on the package servers.
>
> In theory yes, but they desktop files are usually rather small.  So I
> don't really see the benefit for this.

Does that mean a binary/data split like this should be generally avoided?

For me it's a issue of workflow.
Everytime a change in the code of QasMixer (in this case) is done that
requires translation, all translators have to be polled.
They then start submitting translations whenever they have time and
interest in doing so. Some submit within 5 minutes some do it after 4
weeks. If I wait for every translation then every release may get
delayed for weeks.
I'm also doing this in my spare time and such a situation isn't very
satisfying. It would be nicer to announce a new version, wait a week for
fast translators, then release. Late translators can get their
translation into an updated l10n-package.

Sebastian