Re: Overriding .desktop file with localized version (QasMixer)

On 2011-11-01, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 01.11.2011 14:14, schrieb Sebastian H.:
>
>> In the progress of separating localizations for QasMixer into a separate
>> package qasmixer-l10n I've stumbled over the following linitan warning:
>>
>> W: qasmixer-l10n: desktop-command-not-in-package
>> usr/share/applications/qasmixer.desktop qasmixer
> [..]
>> qasmixer-l10n installs a new version of
>> /usr/share/applications/qasmixer.desktop
>> with additional localized strings and diverts the original file to
>> /usr/share/qasmixer/qasmixer.desktop.no_l10n
>
> Why?  Why not install the desktop file with the localized strings in
> with the proper package?

And by keeping the localized desktop file in the same package as the
application gives also translated entries in the menu, so that it
doesn't say

Sound Mixer
Qasmixer

in a danish environment, but rather

Lydmikser
Qasmixer

(I don't know what Qasmixer is or how it is properly capitalized)

The translations in the desktop file is not for the application, but for
the desktop shell or window manager or whatever is providing the menu.

/Sune