Re: [RFR] - PHP_Timer (Needed by phpunit)

On 10/17/2011 05:57 AM, Luis Uribe wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Do you remember me? I'm the one trying to package phpunit and all of
> it's dependences. The work has been stopped for a few months but now i
> have time again and i want to finish it.
>
> Currently i made a [1] package for PHP_Timer
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/10/msg00093.html
>
> Since upstream is not the official PEAR channel, i have to do some
> things on debian/rules: set the config and php dir of PEAR with
> config-set, install the channel manually and install the package.
>
> I'd like to ask for your review of the package, i just send an email to
> debian-mentors but no one answer yet. JUst need to be sure that my
> approach is correct before i upload the rest of the packages.
>
> I would appreciate your help and advices about packaging those PEAR
> modules (and sponsoring too, obviously).
>
> Thanks

Hi,

1/ Please use the DEP5 format for your debian/copyright. You don't have
to, but it's a way better with it IMHO. [0]

2/ Please use php-pkg-tools, depend on it and on debhelper 8, and have
your debian/control variables set to use it. I'm slowly converting all
my PEAR packages to it myself. You can have a look into php-html-common
which I maintain to see how to modify your debian/rules and
debian/control to take advantage of pkg-php-tools. You don't have to use
all of its features, but I would strongly recommend to use at least some
of it (you don't have to use the dh 8 short style if it doesn't fit the
type of package you are doing, but most of the time, it's best to do so.
See php-image-barcode to see how to override dh_install and use pear to
manually install stuff in a dh 8 short style makefile for PEAR packages).

3/ Please also update your Maintainer field to "Debian PHP PEAR
Maintainers <pkg-php-pear@lists.alioth.debian.org>" (I mean, please use
the PEAR maintainers and not just the PHP maintainers).

4/ Your long description is too short, please describe better what the
package does. I'm sure you can do better! :)

5/ Are you sure you want to put your packaging work in a license more
restrictive than upstream author? (it's allowed, but I wouldn't
personally recommend it. If upstream uses a BSD license, what pushes you
to use GPL-2?)

6/ Once installed, your package creates:
/usr/share/php/PHP/Timer.php
/usr/share/php/PHP/Timer/Autoload.php

IMHO, it should rather install:
/usr/share/php/Timer/Timer.php
/usr/share/php/Timer/Timer/Autoload.php

7/ Do you know why your package doesn't build in Squeeze? :)

8/ php-timer doesn't seem to be in Debian (SID or otherwise), so please
clean your debian/changelog which should be only:

php-timer (1.0.2-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Initial release (Closes: #611767)

 -- Luis Uribe <acme@eviled.org>  Thu, 06 Oct 2011 07:37:03 -0500

That's it for the moment, please correct your package, reply to this
email point by point, then I'll review your package again.

[0] dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/