Re: RFS: xul-ext-zotero

Hi Theodore,

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 09:53:18PM +0300, Θοδωρής Λύτρας wrote:
> Στις Δευ 04 Ιουλ 2011, ο/η Kilian Krause έγραψε:
> > On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 00:45 +0300, Theodore Lytras wrote:
> > > Dear mentors,
> > >
> > > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "xul-ext-zotero", an extension
> > > for Iceweasel.
> > >
> > > * Package name    : xul-ext-zotero
> > >
> > >   Version         : 2.1.8-1
> > >   Upstream Author : Center for History and New Media, George Mason
> > >   University
> > >
> > > <chnm@gmu.edu>
> > > * URL             : http://www.zotero.org/
> > > * License         : Affero GPLv3
> > >
> > >   Section         : web
> > >
> > > It builds these binary packages:
> > > xul-ext-zotero - Collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources
> > >
> > > The package appears to be lintian clean.
> > >
> > > The upload would fix these bugs: 504058
> > >
> > > My motivation for maintaining this package is:
> > >
> > > Zotero is IMHO the best citation manager out there, a powerful research
> > > tool that I (and thousands of other people) use on a regular basis, and
> > > its latest version should always be in the Debian repositories.
> > >
> > > The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
> > > - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable
> > > main contrib non-free
> > > - dget
> > > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xul-ext-zotero/xul-ext-
> > > zotero_2.1.8-1.dsc
> > >
> > > I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.
>

> > Thanks for stepping up as maintainer for a new Debian package.
>
> Thank you for your quick and helpful reply.
> Please note that I am brand new to Debian packaging and the community in
> general (although I use Debian for a few years now), and excuse any mistakes
> and mishandlings on my part.

Don't worry. That's why you propose one version of a package to the Debian
mentors and will be "mentored" to getting it into a shape like it should be.
There's no offense taken if it's not right the first time or the second
time. ;-)

[...]
> > 3. CDBS is no longer preferred. Please use dpkg v3 source style and
> > debhelper 7 dh-style for debian/rules
>
> Switched to dpkg v3 source style.
> However, I am not sure how to write the debian/rules file properly without
> CDBS. I would need some extra help/pointers on how to do that.

you may have seen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debhelper
http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/cdbs_killer___40__design_phase__41__/

were the recommendations that Michael put forth earlier today.

Apart from that "man dh" will also list some common examples of how things
can be achieved. Other than that, reading /usr/bin/dh may help if you're not
scared of scripting and somewhat willing to have these open aside:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-debian-rules

As a more basic guide Lucas has further published a great tutorial (also
available as packaging-tutorial package) which is at:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/packaging-tutorial/packaging-tutorial.pdf

If in doubt, just mail the question here.

[...]
> > 5. debian/copyright is not DEP-5 format. Please update.
>
> I wanted to do this in DEP-5, but I did not see Affero GPLv3 in the list of
> license keywords in http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/#index6h1 .
> Should I just use the GPL keyword, or should I specify at some other place
> that the license is Affero GPLv3?

You can just list the license without short tag in full. If you want to use
multiple Files paragraphs just choose an arbitrary name that's unique within
the copyright file (e.g. AGPLv3) and use that with the final License tag and
following full quote of the license.

[...]
> > 7. Most importantly I don't see a single bit of info that you
> > coordinated this with "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako@debian.org> who set the
> > bug to ITP this January. From what I see your name doesn't appear in the
> > BTS at all for this bug. How come yuo now step up as new maintainer and
> > Benjamin isn't even listed as Uploader?
> >
> > Thanks for clarifying.
>
> Sorry, I didn't realize at all that I should coordinate with Benjamin.
> Actually I didn't read the bug report through. My bad.

Oops! Good that we noticed then! ;-)

> Then again, I see that the original request was for the Zotero Iceweasel
> extension (which is what I have packaged), while Benjamin later refers to
> Zotero Standalone (another story) and his intent to package *that* when it
> hits beta.

If that is indeed two independent projects, please file a second bug so that
each project does have its own ITP and can be closed accordingly.

> Nonetheless, I am sending a separate email to the bug report thread and to
> Benjamin. Maybe he would be interested in sponsoring this package, and I would
> be glad to help with Zotero Standalone too.

That's sort of what I had expected as he's a DD and willing to put together
his package anyway (why shouldn't he be offering sponsorship to you too).

> One further question: should I dupload again the fixed and corrected package
> to mentors.debian.net, the same way I did the first time? And should the
> revision number be the same, or incremented +1?

You can upload the identical version including the fixes to mentors (which
will just replace the current version), but I would say that you should
first wait and see what Benjamin answers especially regarding co-maintenance
and then proceed down that path. Maybe he already has a Vcs where you can
join your efforts.

> Thank you very much for all the assistance,

No problems. Happy to help! ;-)

--
Best regards,
Kilian