Re: RFS: triggerhappy

Dies schrieb Jonathan Nieder (jrnieder@gmail.com):

> How does triggerhappy compare to Krzysztof Burghardt's esekeyd?

I think esekeyd can only handle KEY events, while triggerhappy can also process
Switch and button events. I am also unsure whether esekeyd support the
hotplugging of input devices (done in triggerhappy by a udev script) or daemon
control via socket. From what I see, esekeyd also lacks the support for "modes",
which can modify the button assignment depending on the state the daemon is in.

> It is easy to misunderstand the short description.  I think it is
> meant to say that that the hotkey daemon is not tied to a user
> session, but now it conjures up images of "user-independent hotkeys".
> Maybe:

>   Triggerhappy watches connected input devices for certain key presses
>   (like Suspend and Volume Control) and runs administrator-configured
>   commands when they are pressed. Unlike <suchandsuch>, it runs as a
>   persistent, systemwide service and therefore can be used even
>   outside the context of a user or X11 session.
>   .
>   It can also handle remote controls, as they are presented as
>   keyboards. No kernel patch is required. The daemon is a userspace
>   program that polls the /dev/input/event? interfaces for incoming key
>   presses.
>   .
>   For example, this package might be useful on a headless system to
>   use input events generated by a remote control to control an
>   mpd server.

Sounds good, I'll look into adapting that description.

Thanks for your reply
Stefan Tomanek